Title: HTML5 Hacks
By: Jesse Cravens, Jeff Burtoft
Publisher: O’Reilly Media
Formats: Print, Ebook, Safari Books Online
Print: November 2012
Ebook: November 2012
Print ISBN: 978-1-4493-3499-4| ISBN 10:1-4493-3499-7
Ebook ISBN: 978-1-4493-3507-6| ISBN 10:1-4493-3507-1
With 90 detailed hacks, expert web developers Jesse Cravens and Jeff Burtoft demonstrate intriguing uses of HTML5-related technologies. Each recipe provides a clear explanation, screenshots, and complete code examples for specifications that include Canvas, SVG, CSS3, multimedia, data storage, web workers, WebSockets, and geolocation.
You’ll also find hacks for HTML5 markup elements and attributes that will give you a solid foundation for creative recipes that follow. The last chapter walks you through everything you need to know to get your HTML5 app off the ground, from Node.js to deploying your server to the cloud.
Here are just a few of the hacks you’ll find in this book:
- Make iOS-style card flips with CSS transforms and transitions
- Replace the background of your video with the Canvas tag
- Use Canvas to create high-res Retina Display-ready media
- Make elements on your page user-customizable with editable content
- Cache media resources locally with the filesystem API
- Reverse-geocode the location of your web app user
- Process image data with pixel manipulation in a dedicated web worker
- Push notifications to the browser with Server-Sent Events
Jesse is a Sr. Engineer at frog where he works with the world’s leading companies, helping them to design, engineer, and bring to market meaningful products and services. With 12 years of experience in web application development, Jesse is currently focusing on single page web applications, the mobile web, and HTML5.